Monday, June 28, 2010

Jits Does Work! By Member Heather Schalon


Jits Does Work!!
by Heather Schalon


I have been training in some form of martial arts for several years, but only in the past year I started to train in Brazilian jiu-jitsu. I’ll admit, it is a love-hate relationship. Being female, and only 120 lbs, I pretty much get my butt kicked every day. At first, I would get frustrated and try to use strength, but most people have more strength than I do, so that approach would only lead to more frustration! Or worse, I would get pissed and fall into the trap of stopping my training for weeks because my ego just couldn't take any more beatings.

But somehow the love and desire to master the techniques would get me back in the gym. I believe this is the same for most of us who train. There is a genuine passion, a hunger, and dedication to face and conquer our greatest challenges.

Then something interesting happened… I was in San Diego visiting one of my best friends and her boyfriend ( a 185 pound border patrol agent) and he kept nagging me about training in jiu-jitsu. He kept saying "it's never going to work against someone bigger.” He showed me a few of his "wrist control" maneuvers that he learned in his border patrol training. So one night after a few too many drinks, he said to me "what would happen if I attacked you right now?" I was a tad bit annoyed with him so I said "fine, let's go!”

He wanted to start off taking my back, he thought that would make it seem like more of a "real attack.” He had several advantages (weight, male, and he had my back), but within a minute I had him choked out in a jits triangle choke! Later that night he needed decided that he needed a replay, stating that he was “not prepared” the first time. Pretty much the same ending! Yes, it gave me a little ego boost as all of our friends were watching, and now even he believes this stuff works.

When I returned to the gym, I was reminded by Bill that my frustrations are normal. The majority of the people I train with are bigger than I am, and they too, are in the process of training. So while my skills improve, so do theirs. Regardless, I have come to love and respect this art form. I still get my butt kicked, but I notice that it takes a little longer each time, and that feels great!

There are many reasons that one comes to study a martial art. For me, the biggest reason I got into martial arts was for self defense. I was living in LA and working in an inner-city ED. I felt the need to be able to protect myself in an often hostile environment.

Every day I grow more confident about protecting myself in any situation because the truth of it is that the vast majority of people out don't have any martial arts training. I have learned through much work, sweat and effort, that even if someone is bigger, I know that my training and technique will help me. So, as frustrated or as pissed off as I may be at times, I will continue to train in jits because one day my technique is going to kick butt!

::Heather trains in multiple martial art forms.
Photo of Heather at a Muay Thai camp ::

No comments:

Post a Comment