Monday, October 25, 2010

Interview with Alive Boxing Instructor Kendell Ward!




I am excited to get the Alive blogs active again, and there could be no better start to this than an interview with a man I admire, Kendell Ward. Enjoy!



1. When did you start boxing and why?
Boxing has saved my life in more ways than one. I started fighting around the age of 12, and didn't get serious about actually Boxing until I turned 18. Fighting has always been a great part of my life, in school and around the neighborhood I have always been the smallest guy; with the biggest mouth. I used to fight a lot, and then came to find out that I had an itch that just had to be scratched. With the science of Boxing in my life now, I have learned the greatest part of humility and humbleness. I started fighting/boxing because it's real to me; it completes who I am today.

2. Who are some of your favorite boxers and why?
I remember when I was around 6 or 7, my family and I was watching a Sugar Ray Leonard fight, and after it was over I told my mother "that's what I want to be when I grow up!" Truthfully, she had seen it as a joke, laughed and shrugged it off not knowing what I would become today. As I became older I was turned on to Bernard Hopkins, and how much our lifestyles were very similar. Hands down these are the two boxers that I'd rush to the T.V to watch, both always had hand supreme electricity when entering the ring, and I enjoy seeing them in action with any opponent. That's what boxing is about!

3. How would you describe your teaching style?
My teaching style?... Hmm, I like to push myself to the limit when I am training, so I expect whoever is in the gym during my class will do the same. I like to pay close attention to detail, and have the ability to answer questions like; "why don't I feel comfortable", or "why can't I see what you see" among others, with a general description to why this will work and why this will get you in trouble. Footwork and Cardio are my major focus points, because in a real fight, having your feet underneath you and in the proper stance is 90-95% of a boxer’s game, and preparing your lungs for war helps out a fighter the rest of the way. Anyone can throw a punch, but the proper stance and footwork will help you throw that punch just a little bit better. A well conditioned fighter will be sucking in less wind, and will be able to push harder and last longer than their opponent across from them.

4. How do you work with both beginners and advanced students at the same time? What techniques do you use to be sure that both feel comfortable?
I have different levels of people in my classes, but even the ones who have been there for a while need footwork just as much as people who have never been there and are just learning. If you push yourself during class, I promise you will feel great after words. I curve my classes around how many beginners there are to the ratio of intermediate-advanced people. Practice makes perfect, and it really depends on you how hard you want to push yourself, because in the long run you are there for you. I normally do put a lot of one on one time during class to help out everyone.

5. For students who hope to have a pro career, what do you feel is the most important part of training?
Personally, the training aspect is a major part of it. The dedication and consistency is pretty much all you have to do. Train when you’re sore or tired, keep a goal in mind and make sacrifices. I have given up a lot to get to the point that I am at right now, and to this day I still make sacrifices. And when you need it you have to take a day off to rest and let you body heal, as well as letting your mind focus on what you have learned. Becoming pro is not easy, and a lot of people give up when it gets hard. The only thing I can say is without a dream there is no goal, and live your dream no matter what obstacles lay in your path.

6. How would you describe your fighting style?
Classic, no fighter in the world fights the same, everyone especially boxers have their own styles their own way of doing what makes them feel comfortable. I have been told that I have the footwork of Ali, the hand speed of Sugar ray, and the strength of Hopkins. I tend to study all sorts of fight videos, and I do see similarities, but my style is my own; it’s what makes me the fighter that I am today.

7. Who has been your biggest personal influence in boxing?
Myself, I am my own worst enemy when it comes to boxing. I am my drive and my motivation. I could say my family but then I would be lying; it’s not that I'm not close to them but I am my own man. I have overcome a lot of obstacles, and troublesome circumstances and the only one to help me through was myself and stepping into that ring. I tend to challenge myself every day, and push myself harder and longer trying to prove myself to... Myself. My motivation comes from deep down inside me, as a kid I heard a lot of negativity directed towards me, I just laughed and shrugged it off responded with "wait and see!"

8. What are your hopes and dreams as a pro boxer?
Every night, before I sleep, I close my eyes put on my head phones and focus on a world title. My dreams are so vivid and real that when I wake up I can taste it; it’s the first thing on my mind when I go on my morning runs. Without a dream there is no goal, and I could care less about the fame, I just want a world title. If kids look up to me that would be really cool, but the only thing I care about is showing why boxing will never die, seeing my name in lights, and fighting in front of the world for the world title. Gold is always on my mind, it's the last thing I think about when I go to sleep and the first thing I think about when I wake up.

9. Anything else you’d like to add?
"If you have a dream, hold on tight to it and whatever you do don't let anyone or anything stand in the way of you accomplishing what you set out to do! Failure is not an option! Never give up, No excuses" - Kendell "Psycho" Ward. Thanks to all who believe in me!

2 comments: